The Old Jockey Club of New Orleans was a primary filming location of the 1912 silent film "The Belle of New Orleans." The film was created and produced entirely in New Orleans by the Kalem Film Company. The Jockey Club provided a beautiful backdrop for the film, which is set in New Orleans while under French Rule. Also known as the Luling Mansion, the home was designed by famed architect James Galiier, Jr. in 1865.
After national release, "The Belle of New Orleans" played an important role in spreading images of New Orleans across the U.S. Newspapers from several states lauded the "beautiful and interesting backgrounds" of New Orleans and proclaimed the film "without exception, one of the most sensational pictures ever produced."