Fraternité No. 20 Masonic Lodge

At the former intersection of Exchange Alley and St. Louis Street — now a parking gate for the Louisiana Supreme Court — once stood the meeting place for Fraternité No. 20, a racially integrated Masonic lodge that included George Herriman’s…

Joseph Lavigne Store

Devout Catholics and energetic members of a radical integrated Masonic lodge, the Herrimans also were regular participants in a remarkable series of seances that were led by their friend, neighbor, and fellow lodge-member, Henry Louis Rey. Born into…

Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club

First appearing in 1909 as the Zulus, the group first had its origins in a club comprised of a group of Black men called “The Tramps.” Social groups such as the Tramps worked as communal bonds and financial insurance for members of the Black…

Jugs Social Club

The Jugs Social Club was founded in the spring of 1951 by nine young enthusiast from Algiers; Ernest Brunet Jr., John Brunet Sr., Larry Bowie, Paul Richards, Alton Richards, Morris Richards, Harris Martin, Alvarez Phillips and Harold Ramson. The…

Temple of the Innocent Blood

Today, nothing identifies the location in the Lower Ninth Ward where Mother Catherine Seal’s “Temple of the Innocent Blood” once stood.  This was true even before Hurricane Katrina devastated the area in 2005 when the nondescript block where it was…

Krewe of Carrollton and Palmer Park

In 1947, the Seventh District Carnival Club, originally formed in 1924, returned to parading after a hiatus during World War II. The club changed its name to the Krewe of Carrollton and also changed its Mardi Gras parade route to include Carrollton…

Music in Palmer Park

Music has played an important role in the history of Palmer Park. A band stand was built in 1923 and every summer a series of concerts was held in the park featuring military bands, marching bands, and bands representing diverse groups. The Works…

Carnival on Wheels 1887

On a February night, a crowd lined St. Charles Avenue from Lee Circle to Louisiana Avenue, twenty-five blocks, to witness a procession of lanterns floating like a swarm of fireflies up the darkened street. First came the bandwagon, pulled along by…

1984 World's Fair Gondola (MART)

The signature attraction of the 1984 Louisiana World Exposition held in New Orleans was MART (Mississippi Aerial River Transit), a $12 million aerial gondola transport system that connected the fair site on the East Bank of the Mississippi River with…

1984 World's Fair Monorail

When planning the 1984 Louisiana World Exposition (LWE), fair and city officials decided to build a monorail system. This project had two objectives. First, it was intended to move many visitors so as to limit traffic congestion in the Warehouse and…

Horse Racing on Sundays at the Eclipse Course

Captain Yelverton N. Oliver of Virginia, who “cast the seed of enterprise upon the rich alluvial soil of Louisiana,” rejuvenated the languishing sport of thoroughbred racing in New Orleans by launching the Eclipse Course at Carrollton in March 1837.…

Krewe of Carrollton

In 1924, Oak Street merchants formed the Seventh District Carnival Club, which became the Krewe of Carrollton. The krewe’s original parade route was around the Carrollton neighborhood, centering upon the Maple and Oak Street commercial districts.…