Chessé Family Home

There are three buildings still standing in New Orleans where it is most likely young George Herriman spent his childhood days: St. Augustine Church, the site of the Herriman & Chessé tailor shop, and this handsomely restored Creole cottage on…

Exchange Alley at Canal Street

The intersection of Exchange Alley and Canal Street reflects jazz's early roots in youth culture and community, as well as Canal Street prominence as a commercial corridor. On December 13, 1915, Chicago café owner Harry James discovered a young…

Preservation Hall

Preservation Hall is a French Quarter concert hall with nightly performances by esteemed local jazz musicians. Established in 1962 by young Philadelphia natives Alan and Sandra Jaffe, the space provided a safe place for older jazz musicians to…

Harry Macarthy and the Academy of Music

In August 1861, Harry Macarthy, also known as "The Arkansas Comedian," arrived in New Orleans to perform a three-month stint of "Personation Concerts" at the Academy of Music, a then popular play house located on St. Charles Avenue. Macarthy debuted…

Music in Palmer Park

Music has played an important role in the history of Palmer Park. A band stand was built in 1923 and every summer a series of concerts was held in the park featuring military bands, marching bands, and bands representing diverse groups. The Works…

Cloverland Dairy

Cloverland Dairy opened its facility on South Carrollton in October 1924. The giant milk-bottle sign was a local landmark. It is said to have held 35,000 gallons of water which was used to wash milk trucks and rinse the dairy driveway. The…

Emma Barrett

In 1910, a self-taught jazz pianist and vocalist - a twelve-year-old girl named Emma Barrett - began performing in venues across New Orleans [1]. Despite being unable to read music, Barrett was in high demand[1] and quickly became a fixture in the…

Origins of Maple Leaf Bar

The Maple Leaf Bar, one of the city's longest operating music clubs, is a haven for local music and has been drawing crowds from New Orleans and throughout the world since the venue opened in 1974. The artifacts, oral histories, images, and other…

The Old Newcomb Music School

In 1909, Newcomb's School of Music building, which was built between 1850-60, was leased from the Tulane Educational Fund to house the new program. This building served as the home of the music program until 1918, when the college moved to Broadway.…