Palmer Park Arch and Early Improvements
Palmer Park, previously full of briar bushes and not much else, underwent some major changes in the early 20th century. In 1910, Carrollton Avenue was dug out by hand and paved; the excess mud was put onto carts and pulled by mules to the park where it was dumped. Oak trees were planted at this time as well. In 1912, the Palmer Park arch was built. Palmer Park Commission President T. M. Thompson and City Engineer Hardee designed the arch and it was funded, at the cost of $1500 dollars, by the city. The arch was originally opposed by nearby residents who did not want to see changes to the space.