After the Confederate retreat and Admiral Farragut's capture of New Orleans and the surrounding area by May 1, 1862, federal forces continued to use the fortifications and even improved them significantly. "Contrabands," enslaved people who escaped their enslavers and affiliated with Union forces, completed most of these fortification improvements. Union leadership renamed this structure "Camp Parapet." Many units from Northern states were stationed at the camp for the duration of the war, including the 73rd Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops. This unit was previously known as the Louisiana Native Guards and was the first African American regiment formed in the Union during the Civil War. It is most best known for its valor in the Port Hudson Campaign. Only later did the 54th Massachusetts, the more famous African American regiment depicted in the film "Glory", gain fame in South Carolina.
When compared to the current terrain, the road which ran from Camp Parapet's main redoubt to Metairie Road roughly corresponds to modern-day Causeway Boulevard while the path taken by the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad is about the same as Airline Drive.
All that remains of Camp Parapet is the dirt and grass-covered powder magazine near the river levee. It is located on Arlington Avenue, near that street's intersection with Causeway Boulevard. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.