McDonogh No. 23

Several years after New Orleans annexed the Town of Carrollton in 1874, the former Carrollton Courthouse began to be used as a public school. The city was able to make the purchase because of the donations of John McDonogh. In 1889, after renovations were complete, the school opened as John McDonogh No. 23. Until 1952, it remained one of the many McDonogh schools throughout New Orleans.


Buddy Adams, long time New Orleans resident, reflects on his time attending McDonogh 23.
Source: Video courtesy of Dr. Michael Mizell-Nelson. ~ Creator: Oral history interview conducted by Dr. Michael Mizell-Nelson.
View File Record