The Original Newcomb College Campus

Newcomb College opened its doors in October 1887 to 59 students in a converted two-story brownstone building on the corner of Camp and DeLord (Howard Avenue) Streets, near what is, in 2012, Lee Circle.

This, the former Hale Mansion, quickly was deemed unacceptable since it was not far from an area increasingly plagued by crime and prostitution. Still, this "day school" for local New Orleans women thrived, and by 1890, ten women departed the campus with academic degrees.

To learn more about the growth and expansion of Newcomb College, please continue on the overview of the second campus, located on Washington Avenue.