Magnolia Bridge was built in 1908, when Bayou St. John was still a commercial waterway. It is a Pratt Truss bridge that originally pivoted at the center to allow commercial vessels and barges to pass through the bayou. Prior to the 1970s the bridge was open to vehicular traffic but is now limited to pedestrians and bicyclists. The bridge connects Cabrini High School to Harding Drive and the neighborhood once known as Magnolia Gardens. It is a popular site for weddings and neighborhood social events.
In 2011 the Magnolia Bridge was added to the Louisiana Landmarks Society "New Orleans Nine," a list of endangered historic treasures. An organization known as the "Re-Bridge" project has been founded to restore and preserve the bridge.