Gentilly Boulevard

Gentilly Boulevard crosses the Elysian Fields bus route at the next traffic light after passing under Interstate-610. When the bus passed this stop on that Monday morning in 1958, it suddenly became a much lonelier place for Joseph Narcisse. “The bus…

Integrating Ben Franklin High School

In the fall of 1963, Ben Franklin High School became the first New Orleans public high school to integrate. Fourteen African American students, all of whom met Franklin's stringent admissions requirements, helped to break the lingering color barriers…

St. Mary's Dominican High School

On November 5, 1860, seven Dominican sisters from Ireland came to New Orleans to teach the children of Irish immigrants. From 1860-1963, St. Mary’s Dominican High School had many different names and locations. In 1860, the St. John the Baptist School…

The Julia Montgomery Memorial Oak, Palmer Park

In March 1923, an oak tree was planted in Palmer Park to honor the death of Julia Blocker Montgomery, a nearby resident. The Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated the tree in memory of Montgomery, who often played with children in the park.…

Valena Cecelia MacArthur Jones

Valena Cecelia MacArthur Jones is another non-native New Orleans who left her mark on the city through her positive influence and helped to shape the lives of all of her pupils. Born in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi in 1872, MacArthur Jones moved to New…

The Elysian Fields Bus

Begin this tour by climbing aboard the Elysian Fields bus, just as many black students did on their first day of classes in September 1958. The bus runs from Canal Street, through the French Quarter, and all the way up Elysian Fields Avenue to the…

Arbor Day at McDonogh No. 23

From the late 1800s through to the mid-1900s, the old Carrrollton Courthouse served as the site of McDonogh 23 public school. On February 10, 1889, McDonogh 23 became the first school in Louisiana to observe Arbor Day, which they did for many…

McDonogh No. 23

Several years after New Orleans annexed the Town of Carrollton in 1874, the former Carrollton Courthouse began to be used as a public school. The city was able to make the purchase because of the donations of John McDonogh. In 1889, after renovations…

Nix Library

Throughout the 1920s, Carrollton residents and New Orleans Public (NOPL) Library officials lobbied the city to build a facility in the Carrollton neighborhood. In 1928, the Council appropriated $20,000 for the purchase of a lot in the area, but…

The Gables

In 1897, Newcomb College was becoming cramped, and President Dixon found himself writing to the President of Tulane. He expressed the need for another dorm to house all the girls and accommodate the growing College. In response, the Gables was added…

The Old Newcomb Gym

Newcomb administrators and faculty members were rather unique in their ideas about the physical education of women, especially when compared to other schools at the time. Dixon hired Clara Baer to meet the challenge of winning over students and their…

Warren House (Washington Campus)

Built soon after the end of the Civil War, Warren House was later named after Mrs. Newcomb's deceased husband, Warren Newcomb. The building was secured by the Tulane Educational Fund for Newcomb College in 1903 and served as a residence hall for the…

The Newcomb Art and Pottery Buildings

Under the guidance of Ellsworth Woodward, the Newcomb pottery program began flourishing in the mid-1890s. In 1896, the first public display of the pottery produced by the students was presented, to polite enthusiasm. In March 1900, the program was…

Josephine Louise House

Mrs. Newcomb bought this house across from the Washington Avenue campus for a residence hall for the growing school in 1894. The original Josephine Louise House was managed by Alice Bowman, who was charged with both running the household and managing…