Fall of 1957: Ben Franklin High School Opens It Doors to 105 Sophomores


This file appears in: Integrating Ben Franklin High School
Fall of 1957: Ben Franklin High School Opens It Doors to 105 Sophomores

In September 1957, Ben Franklin High School opened its doors in to its first sophomore class of 105 students. The school was housed in the newly renovated Carrollton Courthouse on Carrollton Avenue, which had most recently served as McDonogh 23, a public elementary school. Created as a school for exceptional students, Franklin had stringent admissions requirements, including an IQ of 120 or above and the previous completion of ninth grade prerequisites. Over the next two years, Franklin expanded to include 11th and 12th grade and graduated its first class in the spring of 1960.


This file appears in: Integrating Ben Franklin High School