US Naval Air Station, 1948


This file appears in: Naval Air Station & University of New Orleans
US Naval Air Station, 1948

Above the airbase one sees the Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park.

During World War II, the long factory building located above Pontchartrain Beach at Franklin Avenue housed the Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Co., which built seaplanes. By 1948, the facility was converted to private industrial use by American Standard, which manufactured toilets until 1982, when a fire destroyed the building. The plant was rebuilt in 1983 but closed permanently soon afterwards. The Orleans Parish Levee Board currently occupies the building.


Courtesy of Louisiana Division/City Archives, New Orleans Public Library


This file appears in: Naval Air Station & University of New Orleans