Dormitory built for the Daughters of Charity at the National Leprosarium, US Marine Hospital, Carville, LA , in 1940. Image Courtesy of the National Hansen's Disease Museum, Permanent Collections. Carville, LA.


This file appears in: Indian Camp Plantation / Louisiana Leper Home
Dormitory built for the Daughters of Charity at the National Leprosarium, US Marine Hospital, Carville, LA , in 1940.<br />
<br />
<br />
Image Courtesy of the National Hansen's Disease Museum, Permanent Collections. Carville, LA.

The Catholic order of nuns, the Daughters of Charity, served as nurses, pharmacists, laboratory researchers, librarians, teachers, spiritual leaders and confidants over their mission at the hospital in Carville from 1896-2005.

From 1896 to 1940, the Sisters lived in Indian Camp Plantation house, which doubled as the hospital's administration building under the state and federal operation of the leprosarium.

In 1941, construction on the Sisters Dormitories was completed. Each of the 21 Sisters had their own simple cell, outfited with a metal bed and small writing desk.

The Sisters shared meals in the 1st floor dining room, prayed in a private chapel on the 2nd floor and collected Carville history in their archives.

Today, the National Hansen's Disease Museum has copies of the documents, photographs and histories compiled by the Sisters' on mission to Carville from 1894-2005.


This file appears in: Indian Camp Plantation / Louisiana Leper Home