The Historic Garrison section of Jackson Barracks consists of the original post constructed in the 1830s. These 19 buildings, surrounded by a 12 foot wall, served four companies of US Army regulars. By the 1830s, the Army decided it needed a permanent garrison near New Orleans to act as an administrative center and serve the outlying coastal defense forts in the area. President Andrew Jackson's administration approved the site, about a mile from the former general's victory at Chalmette battlefield. At the time, it was called "The US Barracks," or "The New Orleans Barracks."
As Seminole prisoners from the wars in Florida passed through the area en route to Indian Country (Oklahoma), some were housed at Jackson Barracks. The post was also a major center of activity for the Mexican War of 1846-48. It would continue to grow and become involved in every major American action through the end of the second World War. As Louisiana National Guard Headquarters, it remains a major center of activity for emergency response as well as everyday operations in service to the state.
The post was named "Jackson Barracks" in 1866 to honor President Andrew Jackson.