In 1974, the Louisiana Military History and State Weapons Museum was established at Jackson Barracks. By the end of the decade it was housed in the old Powder Magazine, a building dating to 1837. Due to the nature of the structure (holding munitions and gunpowder), it was built a good distance from the historic garrison.
In the 1990s, the Museum was renamed the Ansel M. Stroud, Jr. Military History and Weapons Museum and was significantly expanded, including seven buildings, an artillery park, a vehicle park, and air park. The museum was severely damaged in 2005 by Hurricane Katrina.
Construction on a new facility began in 2010 and was completed in late 2012. The new building contains the museum as well as the archives. The majority of the collection was salvaged and stabilized, but still requires restoration. The vehicle park, air park, and artillery park were re-established. As of early 2014, the Museum is open on a limited basis, but Guard personnel are working to get it fully operational.