Jackson Barracks: Polo Field and Adjutant General's Office

Stop 8 of 10 in the Jackson Barracks tour

In the 1920s and 30s, the large field north of the Historic Garrison, east of Fleming Hall and Post Headquarters, was used as a polo field. Officers in the 108th Cavalry held tournaments and New Orleanians came out to watch.

Included in the new construction after Hurricane Katrina was a new office building for the adjutant general and his command staff. Major General Glenn Curtis is the 49th adjutant general of Louisiana. Former commanders include James Longstreet, Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard, Raymond Fleming, Raymond Hufft, O.J. Daigle, Jr., Ansel M. Stroud, Jr., and Bennett C. Landreneau.

Images

Members of 108th Cavalry, 1920s

Members of 108th Cavalry, 1920s

Image courtesy of the Louisiana National Guard Archives View File Details Page

Polo Tournament Ticket, 1937

Polo Tournament Ticket, 1937

Image courtesy Louisiana National Guard Archives View File Details Page

Officers of the 108th Cavalry

Officers of the 108th Cavalry

Image courtesy of Louisiana National Guard Archives View File Details Page

Adjutant General's Office, 2011

Adjutant General's Office, 2011

This new building sits at what used to be the foot of the polo field. Image courtesy of the Louisiana National Guard Public Affairs Office View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Rhett Breerwood, “Jackson Barracks: Polo Field and Adjutant General's Office,” New Orleans Historical, accessed April 30, 2017, http://neworleanshistorical.org/items/show/757.

Related Tours

Tags

comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story