Jackson Barracks: Beauregard Drive

Stop 5 of 10 in the Jackson Barracks tour

The second-oldest area of the post is currently referred to as "Beauregard Drive," after the street that runs from Fleming Hall to the river levee. The land it sits on was originally purchased by the Army for use as a hospital during the Mexican War in 1846. Construction was not completed until the war was over, but the facility saw extensive use during the Civil War and Reconstruction.

Those buildings were demolished afterward, but another, smaller hospital and other facilities were constructed in the same spot during World War I. In the 1930s, WPA renovations converted one of those structures into a multi-room transient officers' quarters. That building still exists and has been named after former Louisiana adjutant general (AG) Raymond F. Hufft.

Hufft, a well-known and celebrated World War II veteran, is the most decorated member of the Louisiana Guard's Hall of Fame. During the war, he was an officer in the First Special Services Force, a predecessor to today's Special Forces, and was among the first troops into Italy, France, and Germany. His tenure as Louisiana AG included the creation of the state's Special Forces units (no longer organized) and providing temporary refuge at Jackson Barracks for Hungarian refugees following the Soviet reprisal in their country in 1956. Hufft Hall was renovated after Katrina and remains in use as temporary living quarters.

Beauregard Drive is a scenic residential street with homes for officers and NCOs. The homes are considered historic, but were so damaged by Hurricane Katrina that they were demolished and rebuilt in the same style, allowing modifications only for current code compliance and hazard mitigation.

Images

Hospital dispensary and surgery building, circa mid 19th century

Hospital dispensary and surgery building, circa mid 19th century

The first Jackson Barracks hospital was constructed in the style of French military hospitals in that period. Image courtesy of the Louisiana National Guard Archive. View File Details Page

Invitation to the rededication of Hufft Hall, 1999

Invitation to the rededication of Hufft Hall, 1999

The building is named after Raymond F Hufft, who served as commander of the Louisiana National Guard from 1948-52 and again from 1956-60. Image courtesy Louisiana National Guard Archives. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Rhett Breerwood, “Jackson Barracks: Beauregard Drive,” New Orleans Historical, accessed June 28, 2017, http://neworleanshistorical.org/items/show/754.

Related Tours

comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story