Jackson Barracks: The Historic Garrison's lost buildings

Stop 2 of 10 in the Jackson Barracks tour

The only buildings that have been lost from the 1830s complex are the post's original headquarters and the two towers that were nearest the river. In 1912, new levee construction required their demolition. A major river entrance was no longer necessary, nor were fortress-like guard towers. The two north towers still remain, however, and there is a rarely used front gate on the river.

Images

Map