Sedgwick Hospital was one of many that existed in the area to service the military during and after the war. Greenville, located along the lower boundary (Lowerline Street) of Carrollton, formed from the former land of Pierre Foucher. The Foucher residence was torn down to make room for the hospital.
The hospital consisted of 15 one story pavilions, a kitchen and dining facility, and a two story administration building. The buildings were connected by covered walkways. The smaller buildings holding patients were separated for health reasons and for better fire protection.
More Union soldiers died from disease than from battle related injuries, particularly in the subtropical climate of South Louisiana.
Construction of Sedwick Hospital did not finish until 1864, and the hospital remained in use for a few years after the war ended.