Several years after the Town of Carrollton was annexed by New Orleans in 1874, the former Carrollton Courthouse began to be used as a public school. The city was able to make the purchase because of the generous donations of John McDonogh. In 1889, after renovations were complete, the school opened as John McDonogh No. 23. Until 1950, it remained one of the many McDonogh schools throughout New Orleans.