Throughout the 1920s, Carrollton residents and New Orleans Public (NOPL) Library officials lobbied the city to build a facility in the Carrollton neighborhood. In 1928, the Council appropriated $20,000 for the purchase of a lot in the area, but further funding to construct the branch was not forthcoming. Later that year, brothers James, Ralph, and John Nix donated a lot at the corner of Carrollton Avenue and Willow Street in memory of their parents.
Their generosity freed the $20,000 for use in building the branch. The Nix Branch, NOPL's sixth facility, opened to the public on December 1, 1930.