The Old Newcomb Chapel

Stop 6 of 14 in the “Old Newcomb”: The First Two Newcomb College Campuses tour

The chapel held a particular spot in Mrs. Newcomb's heart, as she saw it as symbolic of her daughter, Sophie. Mrs. Newcomb ordered Tiffany windows for this building, as well as a specially built organ and a bronze memorial tablet for Harriott Sophie Newcomb.

Mrs. Newcomb only imposed one condition upon Newcomb College, and that was that the dates of her daughter's birthday and death were to be observed as memorial days, complete with a service officiated by an Episcopalian clergyman.

Images

The Newcomb College Chapel on Washington Avenue.

The Newcomb College Chapel on Washington Avenue.

Image Courtesy of Newcomb College Institute. View File Details Page

A View of the Newcomb College Chapel on Washington Avenue.

A View of the Newcomb College Chapel on Washington Avenue.

Image Courtesy of Newcomb College Institute. View File Details Page

The Newcomb Washington Avenue Chapel Library (1909).

The Newcomb Washington Avenue Chapel Library (1909).

Image Courtesy of Newcomb College Institute. View File Details Page

The Newcomb Chapel Interior.

The Newcomb Chapel Interior.

Image Courtesy of Newcomb College Institute. View File Details Page

The Newcomb Chapel Interior.

The Newcomb Chapel Interior.

Image Courtesy of Newcomb College Institute. View File Details Page

The Newcomb Chapel Interior.

The Newcomb Chapel Interior.

Image Courtesy of Newcomb College Institute. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Newcomb College Institute , “The Old Newcomb Chapel,” New Orleans Historical, accessed March 30, 2017, http://neworleanshistorical.org/items/show/339.
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story