The Old Newcomb Music School

Stop 8 of 14 in the “Old Newcomb”: The First Two Newcomb College Campuses tour

In 1909, Newcomb's School of Music building, which was built between 1850-60, was leased from the Tulane Educational Fund to house the new program. This building served as the home of the music program until 1918, when the college moved to Broadway. As early as 1911, Tulane men were allowed to attend music classes at Newcomb College.

The Old Newcomb Music school was originally on 1224 Seventh Street, but it was moved to 1240 Seventh Street between 1912 and 1918.

Images

The Washington Avenue Campus Music School.

The Washington Avenue Campus Music School.

Image Courtesy of Newcomb College Institute. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Newcomb College Institute , “The Old Newcomb Music School,” New Orleans Historical, accessed March 30, 2017, http://neworleanshistorical.org/items/show/338.
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story