The Original Newcomb College Campus

Stop 1 of 14 in the “Old Newcomb”: The First Two Newcomb College Campuses tour

Newcomb College opened its doors in October 1887 to 59 students in a converted two-story brownstone building on the corner of Camp and DeLord (Howard Avenue) Streets, near what is, in 2012, Lee Circle.

This, the former Hale Mansion, quickly was deemed unacceptable since it was not far from an area increasingly plagued by crime and prostitution. Still, this "day school" for local New Orleans women thrived, and by 1890, ten women departed the campus with academic degrees.

To learn more about the growth and expansion of Newcomb College, please continue on the overview of the second campus, located on Washington Avenue.

Images

The first home of Newcomb College: the former Hale mansion.

The first home of Newcomb College: the former Hale mansion.

Image Courtesy of Newcomb College Institute. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Newcomb College Institute , “The Original Newcomb College Campus,” New Orleans Historical, accessed June 28, 2017, http://neworleanshistorical.org/items/show/291.
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story