In 1886, Antonio Monteleone purchased what was to become the Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans. Since 1886, four generations of the Monteleone family have owned the hotel, making it one of the last family-owned and operated hotels in New Orleans. 
In the 1880s and early 1900s, many Italian immigrants, especially Sicilians, came to New Orleans. By the end of the 1890s, more than 2,000 Italians were coming to New Orleans each year. One such Sicilian immigrant was Antonio Monteleone.
Antonio worked as a shoe cobbler in the city in a shop across the street from the Commercial Hotel. Antonio purchased the hotel in 1886 and enlisted Toledano & Wogan Architects to add thirty rooms to the hotel in the very first year.
In 1902, Mr. Monteleone purchased more property on Exchange alley that became a major addition to the Commercial Hotel.  In 1905 Monteleone renamed it the Hotel Monteleone. More rooms were continuously added throughout the 20th century.