Fort Pike, named after General Zebulon Montgomery Pike, was completed in 1828. It originally was named Fort Petite Coquilles after the structure it was meant to replace. Made with brick and stone, Fort Pike is stronger than its Second System counterpart. It mainly served as a barracks and storage area for local troops; it sometimes served as a prison when needed. In all its history, a cannon never fired from Fort Pike. Today, the fort is open to tours for a nominal fee.
During the Seminole Wars (1817-58), many of the Seminole prisoners and their black slaves were kept in Fort Pike until they were sent on to a reservation. One Daily Picayune article from January 10, 1838, describes numerous skirmishes with the Seminoles in Florida, and reports that forty prisoners had been sent by train to the fort for detention.
In 2000, a plaque was dedicated in honor of the Seminoles who died while imprisoned at Fort Pike. In 2009, a plaque was added that hails a Seminole War Chief by the name of "Jumper" who fought against the United States' attempts to relocate his people to a reservation already inhabited by Creek Indians. Chief Jumper purportedly died at Fort Pike.