Langles Bridge

Stop 11 of 13 in the City Park tour

The Langles Bridge is located near the south side of the Timken Center, formerly known as the Casino building. This original stone bridge is dedicated to Miss Angele M. Langles; her estate appropriated $650 for City Park.

Angele and her mother were lost when the French steamer La Bourgogne sank on July 4, 1898, after colliding with the British ship Cromarty Shire off Cape Sable Island (near Nova Scotia).

According to Sally and William Reeves' book, History of City Park New Orleans, Langles Bridge has become one of City Park's most commonly photographed subjects. It is one of three old stone bridges in the park built around 1902.

Before crossing the bridge notice the abandoned pigeon house. This island is also home to the yearly fishing rodeo.

Images

Langles Bridge

Langles Bridge

A 1910 photograph taken by John R. Nicolini depicts his wife, Mrs. Amy Tesson Nicolini. Image courtesy of John DeMajo. http://www.museumofyesterday.org The photo is located in the the Bogan-Nicolini Family photo collection. View File Details Page

Langles Bridge, 2012

Langles Bridge, 2012

Image courtesy of Kimberly Jochum. View File Details Page

Canoeing through the lagoons

Canoeing through the lagoons

A family canoeing in City Park on June 15, 1932. Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons. View File Details Page

Image courtesy of Kimberly Jochum. View File Details Page

Pigeon House

Pigeon House

Courtesy of Louisiana Division/City Archives, New Orleans Public Library View File Details Page

Image courtesy of John DeMajo. http://www.museumofyesterday.or View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Kimberly Jochum , “Langles Bridge ,” New Orleans Historical, accessed April 30, 2017, http://neworleanshistorical.org/items/show/114.

Related Tours

comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story