The second free bridge opened in 1930, ensuring the failure of the privately owned and managed Watson-Williams toll bridge. First as Public Service Commissioner and then as a gubernatorial candidate, Huey Long had won a great deal of support as a…

The Chef Menteur Pass Bridge offered free access to and from New Orleans, helping to make the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain and the rest of the Gulf Coast more accessible to the city. Political candidate Huey Long was a vocal opponent to toll…

On the evening of November 18, 1926, a railcar of the Orleans-Kenner Traction Co. (popularly called the "O-K Line") was traveling through Southport when it was hit by the rear end of a Louisiana Railway & Navigation Co. train. An L. R. & N. engine…

The headquarters and downtown station of the Orleans-Kenner Electric Railway were located at 127 South Rampart Street between Canal Street and Tulane Avenue. Better known as the "O-K Line," it was New Orleans' only interurban rail line. As an…

The neutral ground began to get its transformation with tracks being laid on Carrollton Avenue while the ten track streetcar barn one block off Carrollton Avenue surround by Dublin, Jeanette and Willow Street was constructed. The Berlin Iron Bridge…

About midway through Jefferson Parish, the Orleans-Kenner interurban (or O-K Line) passed through the village of Harahan. The company's car barn and power station were located here as well as one of its busiest stops. "Harahan City," as the…

The town of Kenner was the western (or upper) terminus of the Orleans-Kenner interurban line from 1915 until service was discontinued in 1930. During this time, the company also operated a "trolley park" along the line called Felix Park. It…

The New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad began in 1835 as a mule and horse driven line that ran from the city of Carrollton to Lee Circle. The line served to bring commuters to the city of New Orleans from the town of Carrollton, which was the first…

Founded in 1938 as Avondale Marine Ways, Inc., Avondale Shipyard has long been a centerpiece of the economy of New Orleans and much of Southeast Louisiana. From barges, to Navy warships, to the oil and natural gas industry, Avondale has been a…

Facing Jackson Square, one should see a line of mules and their drivers ready to take visitors on a trip around the French Quarter. Now a tourist attraction, these animals played a vital role for New Orleans before the advent of motorized vehicles.…

From your position in the parking lot, look towards the overpass leading to the northeast. Underneath the bridge you can see the point where the Rigolets Pass snakes towards Lake Ponchartrain. At the head of this peninsula is where the West Rigolets…

The Clio streetcar line opened in 1867 and ended service in 1932. Also known as the "C-L-10," this route once connected the uptown and Marigny (downtown) neighborhoods. The street, accompanied by the other eight muses, intersects a portion of St.…