In March 1923, an oak tree was planted in Palmer Park to honor the death of Julia Blocker Montgomery, a nearby resident. The Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated the tree in memory of Montgomery, who often played with children in the park.…

Fort Pike, named after General Zebulon Montgomery Pike, was completed in 1828. It originally was named Fort Petite Coquilles after the structure it was meant to replace. Made of brick and stone, Fort Pike is stronger than its Second System…

The monument to Confederate General G.T. Beauregard stood at the center of a busy traffic roundabout at the entrance to City Park. In the aftermath of the Charleston massacre of 2015, all symbols associated with the Confederacy faced renewed scrutiny…