Sedgwick Hospital was one of many that existed in the area to service the military during and after the war. Greenville, located along the lower boundary (Lowerline Street) of Carrollton, formed from the former land of Pierre Foucher. The Foucher…

After the Confederate retreat and Admiral Farragut's capture of New Orleans and the surrounding area by May 1, 1862, federal forces continued to use the fortification and even improved it significantly. Most of the work was conducted by "contraband"…

Camp Parapet was built within the current boundaries of Jefferson Parish when Carrollton was still the commercial center of the parish. Intended to help defend against both a naval and land attack, a jagged line of fortifications stretched from…

Founded in 1938 as Avondale Marine Ways, Inc., Avondale Shipyard has long been a centerpiece of the economy of New Orleans and much of Southeast Louisiana. From barges, to Navy warships, to the oil and natural gas industry, Avondale has been a…

In the eighteenth century, working sugar plantations existed on this land. They faced the Mississippi River, which is straight ahead about a half mile. Pierre Foucher planted long alleys of live oak trees to frame his house. His neighbor Etienne de…

On Canal Street, Reconstruction forces prepared to defend the state government and, most importantly, Governor Kellogg. Though the state used the St. Louis Hotel on Royal Street as its government building, Kellogg took shelter in the U.S. Custom…

During WWII, Camp Leroy Johnson was used along with the New Orleans Airport by the Army and Airforce Bomber Squadron for training. Signal and Quartermaster units were trained on the post, which housed a Transportation Corps Officer Candidate School…

LaGarde Hospital was built in 1941 to relieve congestion during the Second World War at other regional Army hospitals such as Camp Beauregard in Pineville, Louisiana, and Camp Shelby in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The hospital was designated as an…

The US Coast Guard's lakefront station was once located at Spanish Fort. By the 1860s, the structure at Spanish Fort had sustained damage from many hurricanes and was in disrepair. The station then moved to the site of the New Canal Lighthouse at the…