The Leeds Iron Foundry was owned and operated by Charles Leeds. It was located at Delord and Constance Streets during the Antebellum period of the nineteenth century. The foundry was opened in 1824. Leeds became a partner in 1844 upon his father’s…

In August 1861, Harry Macarthy, also known as "The Arkansas Comedian," arrived in New Orleans to perform a three-month stint of "Personation Concerts" at the Academy of Music, a then popular play house located on St. Charles Avenue. Macarthy debuted…

The Historic Garrison section of Jackson Barracks consists of the original post constructed in the 1830s. These 19 buildings, surrounded by a 12 foot wall, served four companies of US Army regulars. By the 1830s, the Army decided it needed a…

In 1974, the Louisiana Military History and State Weapons Museum was established at Jackson Barracks. By the end of the decade it was housed in the old Powder Magazine, a building dating to 1837. Due to the nature of the structure (holding munitions…

In the 1920s, Jackson Barracks was transferred from the regular Army to the state's National Guard. From 1936 to1940, Louisiana adjutant general Raymond H. Fleming utilized the federal Works Progress Administration to provide renovation and new…

The second-oldest area of the post is currently referred to as "Beauregard Drive," after the street that runs from Fleming Hall to the river levee. The land it sits on was originally purchased by the Army for use as a hospital during the Mexican War…