In 1909, Newcomb's School of Music building, which was built between 1850-60, was leased from the Tulane Educational Fund to house the new program. This building served as the home of the music program until 1918, when the college moved to Broadway.…

In 1896, Mrs. Newcomb contributed to both a pottery building and an arcade to connect the high school with College Hall. The girls of Newcomb were thrilled with finally having their "missing link," as they called it, built to unite the buildings,…

College Hall was built by James Robb, a wealthy banker, between 1852 and 1854. After a series of personal and financial misfortunes, Robb sold the mansion to John Burnside, a merchant who died in 1881. The house was originally purchased to house…

After the completion of Josephine Louise House in 1895, Mrs. Newcomb attempted to live in the building with the students, but found that their chatter ill suited to her need for quiet. She moved to Newcomb House, on 1225 Fourth Street in 1897. …

Newcomb College opened its doors in October 1887 to 59 students in a converted two-story brownstone building on the corner of Camp and DeLord (Howard Avenue) Streets, near what is, in 2012, Lee Circle. This, the former Hale Mansion, quickly was…

When it was built in 1925, Doris Hall, was home to 28 girls. It was named for Doris Zemurray Stone, herself a graduate of Radcliffe College and the daughter of Tulane donor, Samuel Zemurray. Built as a cooperative dormitory, Doris Hall provided an…

From the first day Newcomb College opened its doors on the Broadway campus, Newcomb Hall was the heart of the school. As the administrative stronghold of the college, most of the departments in Newcomb College have, at some point, claimed Newcomb…

Dixon Hall was built in 1929 to house a music building, auditorium, library, and a memorial to President Dixon, who retired in 1919 after 32 years. Subsequent leaders of the College were called "deans." Dixon had long dreamed of creating a worthy…

New Doris Hall was built, along with Butler and Johnston Hall, after 1954 to accommodate the explosion of applicants to Newcomb. Of the three women's residency halls, only Butler still stands today, though it is now a co-ed honors dorm. New Doris…

The construction of Doris Hall was followed in 1928 by the construction of a larger dormitory, Warren Newcomb House. Warren House is named for the husband of Josephine Louise, and in 1952, an additional wing was successfully added, expanding the…