During 1998 and 1999, the Greater New Orleans Archaeology Program, under the direction of Christopher Mathews, undertook testing and data recovery at the St. Augustine Site (16OR148), in the Tremé neighborhood of New Orleans. The site, currently…

Many visitors to New Orleans are familiar with the song “The House of the Rising Sun,” made popular by the English band The Animals in 1967. The song itself has roots far back in English folk balladry, long before any association with New Orleans.…

The Leeds Iron Foundry was owned and operated by Charles Leeds. It was located at Delord and Constance Streets during the Antebellum period of the nineteenth century. The foundry was opened in 1824. Leeds became a partner in 1844 upon his father’s…

Le Petit Salon was once the most exclusive and prestigious private women’s organization in New Orleans. Founded in 1924 and described as a “circle of distinguished ladies,” the Salon quickly became an influential player in the cultural revival of the…

The second-oldest area of the post is currently referred to as "Beauregard Drive," after the street that runs from Fleming Hall to the river levee. The land it sits on was originally purchased by the Army for use as a hospital during the Mexican War…

Sedgwick Hospital was one of many that existed in the area to service the military during and after the war. Greenville, located along the lower boundary (Lowerline Street) of Carrollton, formed from the former land of Pierre Foucher. The Foucher…