Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.
Fullscreen MapMap Show Current LocationMy Location

All Stories: 281

In 1974, the Louisiana Military History and State Weapons Museum was established at Jackson Barracks. By the end of the decade it was housed in the old Powder Magazine, a building dating to 1837. Due to the nature of the structure (holding munitions…

Tags:

In the 1920s, Jackson Barracks was transferred from the regular Army to the state's National Guard. From 1936 to1940, Louisiana adjutant general Raymond H. Fleming utilized the federal Works Progress Administration to provide renovation and new…

Tags:

After the formation of the Wedell-Williams Air Service, Harry Williams established a base of operations on what was once Calumet Plantation by clearing a sugarcane field. This airport offered hangars and a grass landing field, but it also featured…

Tags:

The Air Service hit its height in 1933 and 1934, but it experienced a period of decline partially due to the construction of the Shushan Airport in November 1933. The air service took a bigger hit with the death of Jimmy Wedell in June 1934. His…

Tags:

As the Wedell-Williams Air Service expanded their air service, a new airport was under construction near Harahan in Jefferson Parish. Costing $63,000, the airport featured a 100 foot x 120 foot steel arch weld hangar with a concrete floor, complete…

Tags:

Share this Page